Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Forgive the cliché but...

...it's really dawning on me how fast time flies. Three years ago I started college, one year ago I was in Madrid and writing my travel blog, about to take my first trip to Lisboa of 2007-08. How is it already October 2007?

I guess this is good in many ways: the days pass by so quickly now that there's little time for any serious boredom. Friends are busy too: many have real working lives (imagine that!), are doing real research somewhere, or are helping deliver other people's children (Bella, your interests never fail to amaze me!). [Not to mention, of course, the frightening realization that a number of my former Moscow classmates at age 22 are married and HAVE their own children... but that is a rant for another day.]

As for me... well, I'm happily mooching off the student lifestyle I have left. I'm still at my internship, but dropped Arabic (after much debate and self-scrutiny) because it was too much to handle right now. Still, I still seem to possess an uncanny ability to erase time... just not the work that came as a package with the time. I challenge anybody and everybody to a procrastination contest--you stand no chance!

A serious reality, though, is that I have a real job search coming up in the next few months. A search that will have to be attacked apparently through networking, because browsing sites like Monster.com makes me sad (I don't see anything that remotely interests me). I know me well enough to know that withering away, unfortunately, is a very real concern in a regular 9-to-5 if I wake up one morning and think "oh, I don't care". I'm an overly passionate person (with no outlet), so the job must interest me in some way and regardless of pay (no rhyme intended). Such is the bottom line. I'm looking for a position that will--ideally--make me want to get up in the morning.

Okay, at least on some days. Fine--on Fridays. Or at least make me not hate to get up in the morning... I can't stand mornings. But still!!

I know there have to be cool opportunities for people like me, if only I knew how think outside of the "box"... so... I am slowly getting the energy to convince myself to TRAIN my brain! (Again: no rhyme intended.) I have been talking to some folks on campus who fall into the "outside the box" bracket... but still can't get over my laziness and fix my résumé per Career Center's suggestions. Basically, I am taking it at a snail's pace. It's just like my phobia of ordering and printing my pictures from last year's travels (still undone, by the way): the moment I will actually sit down to do it, it will become REAL.

Now, if only somebody would pay me to travel the world and write a blog about it...

Pfff! I've still got 9 months of denial!!

But denial doesn't bring petty cash, so tomorrow I start at my "part-time no. 2", bright and early at 8 a.m. (#%@!) at the office. Well, at least I can thank Tufts for conveniently placing 2 coffee places on the 20-minute walk there. Yes, I am a leftist, studious, mooching, morning latté consumer!

No comments: